A year for the history books, 2020 has changed the way we learn, gather and express ourselves. As we navigate what our new normal will look like, some things remain the same—the need for continued education and support of our up-and-coming cybersecurity and risk management professionals.
For the past several years, UMSA, in conjunction with the UMSA Foundation, has awarded annual scholarships in support of the organizations’ continued efforts in interdisciplinary collaboration and education. These scholarship winners have been recognized each year at the Secure360 Conference. This year, with the Secure360 event moving virtual, it was important for our organization to continue to recognize the achievements of these students.
We received a record-number of scholarship applications. Applicants were comprised of undergraduate and graduate students in a wide range of programs including information security, information assurance, computer information systems, cybersecurity and computer science. Through careful consideration, evaluation and interviews, we were able to award 12 scholarships to deserving students in a variety of programs.
We are proud to announce the winners of the 2020 UMSA Foundation Scholarship:
$3,000 awards granted to:
- Zinet Kemal | Georgia Institute of Technology
- Alyssa Ronquillo | University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- Alyssa Maki | Metropolitan State University
- Denna Downhour | University of Minnesota – Technological Leadership Institute
$1,000 awards granted to:
- John Paul Bunn | eAchieve Academy
- Lee Vang | Univeristy of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- Barbara Pierre-Louis | Century College
- Bhumika Sapkota | St. Cloud State University
- Tsion Mekonnen | Metropolitan State University
- Abidemi Lawal | Metropolitan State University
- Andrew Bennin | St. Cloud State University
- Katherine Tostenson | University of Minnesota
Congratulations to all of our scholarship recipients this year. We look forward to seeing you grow and continue to move forward in your career paths. To learn more about upcoming scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship page or follow UMSA Foundation on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter.